Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Judge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest -Capitatum
Rekubit Exchange:Judge awards $23.5 million to undercover St. Louis officer beaten by colleagues during protest
Ethermac View
Date:2025-04-07 04:52:48
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A St. Louis judge on Rekubit ExchangeMonday awarded nearly $23.5 million to a former police officer who was beaten by colleagues while working undercover during a protest.
Luther Hall was badly injured in the 2017 attack during one of several protests that followed the acquittal of Jason Stockley, a former St. Louis officer, on a murder charge that stemmed from the shooting death of a Black man.
Hall previously settled a separate lawsuit with the city for $5 million. In 2022, he sued three former colleagues — Randy Hays, Dustin Boone and Christopher Myers — for their roles in the attack.
Hays never responded to the lawsuit despite being served while he was in prison on a civil rights violation, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported. A judge issued a default judgment in favor of Hall in February and heard testimony Monday about why Hall should receive damages.
Hall’s claims against Boone and Myers are still pending.
Hall, in court on Monday, talked about the severe physical and emotional damages that followed the beating. He suffered several herniated discs and a jaw injury that left him unable to eat. He developed gallstones with complications, requiring surgeries.
“Mr. Hall had to endure this severe beating and while that was happening, he knew it was being administered by his colleagues who were sworn to serve and protect,” Circuit Judge Joseph Whyte said.
Hays was not at the hearing. He was sentenced to more than four years in prison in 2021 and is in the custody of the St. Louis Residential Reentry Management Office, which supervises people who have been released from prison and are serving time on home confinement or in halfway houses. He has one year to contest the judgment.
The attack happened on Sept. 17, 2017, days after Stockley was acquitted in the fatal shooting of 24-year-old Anthony Lamar Smith on Dec. 20, 2011. Hall was walking back toward police headquarters when his uniformed colleagues ordered him to put up his hands and get on the ground, then beat him.
Hays, Boone, Myers and another officer, Bailey Colletta, were indicted in 2018 in connection with Hall’s injuries. A fifth officer, Steven Korte, was indicted on a civil rights charge and another count of lying to the FBI.
Boone was convicted of a civil rights charge and sentenced to a year and a day in federal prison. Meyers received probation after pleading guilty to a single felony charge. Colletta received probation for lying to the FBI and a grand jury about the attack. Korte was acquitted.
In addition to the settlement with Hall, the city of St. Louis last year paid nearly $5.2 million over allegations that police violated the rights of dozens of people by capturing them in a police “kettle” and arresting them. Some said they were beaten, pepper-sprayed and attacked with stun guns in various downtown protests after the Stockley verdict.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Rep. Santos faces new charges he stole donor IDs, made unauthorized charges to their credit cards
- Suspect fatally shot by San Francisco police after crashing car into Chinese Consulate
- Scrutiny of Arkansas governor’s $19,000 lectern deepens after new records are released
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Former Haitian senator pleads guilty in US court to charges related to Haiti president’s killing
- Virginia’s Democratic members of Congress ask for DOJ probe after voters removed from rolls in error
- Video of traffic stop that led to Atlanta deacon's death will be released, attorney says
- Your Wedding Guests Will Thank You if You Get Married at These All-Inclusive Resorts
- Los Angeles deputies were taken to a hospital after fire broke out during training
Ranking
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Ryan Reynolds Reflects on “Fun” Outing to Travis Kelce’s NFL Game With Taylor Swift and Blake Lively
- The O.C.’s Mischa Barton Admits She Still Struggles With “Trauma” From Height of Fame
- Amazon October Prime Day Deal: Shoppers Say This $100 Vacuum Works Better Than Dyson
- Report: Lauri Markkanen signs 5-year, $238 million extension with Utah Jazz
- Groups work to protect Jewish Americans following Hamas attack on Israel
- Host Holly Willoughby Exits ITV's This Morning Days After Being Targeted in Alleged Murder Plot
- Orioles' Dean Kremer to take mound for ALDS Game 3 with family in Israel on mind
Recommendation
Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
California-based Navy sailor pleads guilty to providing sensitive military information to China
Afghans still hope to find survivors from quake that killed over 2,000 in western Herat province
Afghans still hope to find survivors from quake that killed over 2,000 in western Herat province
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Israeli village near the Gaza border lies in ruin, filled with the bodies of residents and militants
Louisiana principal apologizes, requests leave after punishing student for dancing at party; her mom says too little, too late
Deadly bird flu reappears in US commercial poultry flocks in Utah and South Dakota